Christmas in June
Friday, June 08, 2012
One of the nice things about living abroad, about having your extended family in a different country, is that when someone goes back home for a visit, they ALWAYS come back with a suitcase full of gifts. It's like Christmas, no matter what time of year it.
My dad went back home around the middle of May to see my gran. She is eight eight or somewhere around there and is such an amazing person - I love her to bits. Anyways, when my dad came back I knew that he would be bringing me one thing back, a hand painted African canvas, as I had begged and pleaded with him to do so. When we went out there in 2010, i bought one and wanted an additional on to go on my wall next to it. This is what my dad came home with.
They really are very clever. The paintings are one of a kind and are all hand painted on canvas. They are then hang using clothes pegs along rope lines for tourists to see and buy. Once you buy one, you simply roll it up and it fits so nicely into your suitcase. Genius! I have been planning to actually paint a few of my own to add to my collection but I haven't yet got around to it.
Another amazing thing about South Africans is all the products that they create. How the recycle items to make other products. Products to sell and make money.....Like this handmade facecloth my aunt sent over with my dad for me. It even has that it was made by Anna, thanks Anna for doing such a lovely job with it.
And then you have this lovely creation. Take a few minutes and really look it. Isn't it unbelievable? It is an African woman, holding a traditional broom with her baby secured around her like it is still done today. When I was growing up, I always used to wonder how it managed to hold that baby in place....because let me tell you, they still carry toddlers around like that when they are too tired to walk. Anyways, I digress.....guess what she is made out of. No really, guess. Miele leaves...you know the leaves that you find around ears of corn in the fields....yup, really! They are dried and treated and then created into this. Completely awesome!
And I even got more incredible gifts. This gorgeous necklace was from my aunt, my mom got one as well. And the pottery dog below was made by my gran. Isn't he gorgeous? Below that you have some handmade beaded Christmas tree decorations. Such simple ideas, but so effective and unique.
Finally, some coasters full of cats from my aunt. Both my aunt and I are big cat lovers and so she always sends me something cat related.
Getting all these gifts made me feel so blessed to have such loving family, but it also made me a little home sick. Sometimes I just want to be close enough touch them, to take my gran out for tea and go shopping with my aunt. I am very proudly South African and I think I will always be - no matter how much time I spend living in another country, my blood will always have Africa in it.


1 comments
What lovely gifts you've received! That canvas is quite beautiful. I love the colors. :)
ReplyDelete