Stuffed Marrow

Saturday, June 09, 2012

My mom is currently studying her little socks off for an exam that she is writing on Monday so I offered to cook dinner for the four of us tonight.  That way it relieves some of the pressure on her while also saving her time.  Now my normal go to for cooking for the four of us is either shepherds pie or lasagna, however I wanted to try something different.  I needed something that would be easy to transport from my flat to their place and I needed something that didn't contain potatoes. I reached into my huge pile of "to try" recipes and came across a gorgeous looking recipe for stuffed marrows.  


So I chopped up my onion and started cooking


I also made a few changes to the recipe because I was looking for something a little more healthy and little more weight watcher points friendly. I exchanged the beef mince for turkey mince and I added spinach, mushrooms and some medium heat taco seasoning.


Here is the recipe if you want to give it a try. It was absolutely delicious and only 6 ww pro points.  My recipe serves 4  but it  can easily be doubled if need be.

Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
1 chopped onion
1 punnet of mushrooms
1 small bag of spinach
1 tin of tomatoes with garlic
450g turkey mince
1 large marrow
grated cheese

Brown chopped onions and turkey mince in a pot. Add the spinach, chopped mushrooms, spice mix and the tin of tomatoes.  Let it simmer on the oven for 15 minutes. 
Meanwhile, preheat the over to 200 degrees and chop the marrow into quarters.  Use a spoon or ice cream scoop and take out the middle section of the marrow.  Place these in an oven proof dish. 
 Once the mince is cooked, spoon the mixture into the centre of the marrow and place in the over, covered with foil for 1 hour.  After the hour, check the marrow is cooked. Place the grated cheese on top, remove the foil and cook for a further 10 minutes. 
Serve and enjoy.

You Might Also Like

0 comments