One Little Word | Open

Monday, January 26, 2015


My One Little Word for 2015 is open.

I knew what my word was going to be by the middle of November.  I purposely took time out in December to really focus on what I want for the new year ahead.  I considered what sort of things I wanted, how I wanted to feel at the end of it, what sorts of experiences I wanted to have and what sort of goals I wanted to achieve.

There were several words that I could have chosen that encompass all that I had journalled and worked through but each time I came back to my original word. Now there are no wrong words when it comes to One Little Word but I knew that this was the right word to accompany me on the journey that this year will bring.

Open began with this desire that I have been fighting with to begin looking for a new romantic relationship.  I knew that in order for me to be brave enough to put myself out there, to trust someone again, that I would have to be open. Open to meeting guys despite how nervous even the thought of that makes me, open to being vulnerable, open to failing and open to the future that this might bring.

This led me to begin to think about other experiences that I have been avoiding or shying away from the past few years.  On December 5th, I graduated from university with a psychology degree.  I have been doing this part time for the past six years leaving very minimal time and financial resources for real holidays.  As part of my reward to myself for completing my degree, I have been saving up to go on a real life adventure.....and the time has finally come to book it.  This adventure isn't until September but I want to be ready by that time to be open to meeting new people, open to really enjoying this adventure and open to trying new things. I don't want to sit on the side lines while everyone else is having fun and taking part in exciting activities.

From here I moved on to another thing that I need to be open to. Now this one is a bit of a tough one but a necessary one. I want to be open to doing hard things. To seeing them through and not giving up. To knuckle down and get the job done - even when I don't think that I can.

As I started spending more and more time thinking about this word and the year ahead other areas began to come to mind like:

I want to be open to new challenges at work.
I want to be open to putting in the effort to nurture friendships both old and new.
I want to be open to further exploring my gifts & talents.
I want to be open to living a life wrapped up in grace.
I want to be open to taking the time to play and make a creative mess.
I want to be open to loving fiercely.
I want to be open to embracing whichever season of life I find myself in.  
I want to be open to wearing colorful clothes and finding my clothing style.

I can honestly say that I am looking forward to this journey with my new word.  

You Might Also Like

0 comments