One Little Word | 2014 Review

Friday, January 09, 2015


2014 was the first year that I decided to take part in Ali Edwards One Little Word online class. My word was Intention and my main goal for choosing it was for me to be more intentional about the way that I spent my time.  I didn't want to go to meetings just for sake of meetings. I wanted to say no to meetings when there wasn't a need for them and I wanted to ensure that any meetings I held had a clear and defined purpose.  I wanted to be intentional at home as well. Intentional about how much effort I put into my final course for uni and I wanted to be intentional about losing weight.


Between January and July I did each monthly prompt. I completed it and really enjoyed it.  Then studies for the final exam started and my One Little Word project took a back seat.  By the middle of October my exam was written and I finally had some time to catch up on the prompts that I had missed. 


After watching all the videos, I realized that some of the prompts weren't worth  me doing.  I was disappointed with how my year had turned out and even more disappointed that I hadn't stopped at some point to really reevaluate how things were going. A lot of things that happened last year was outside of my control, but having said that, I did have a choice over how I dealt with them. How I spent my time. It took me a few weeks to work through my feelings about this but eventually I came to realize that I couldn't go back and change things so had to take what I could learn from it and move forward.   


The overall experience of One Little Word was really good. I love the idea of picking a word, reflecting on it monthly and documenting your journey with the word.  What I learnt through this experience which I will be applying to my One Little Word journey during 2015 is the following:

  • Its not enough to simply do the prompts each month. You really have to live with your word. Day by day, decision by decision. That is how you get the most out of this experience.
  • Make it visible. Keep your word where you can see it. On your phone. On your computer. In your kitchen and bedroom. Even in your car.
  • Spend time with your word. With what it means. With how you want it to impact on your life and your decisions. This is not a once a month tick list job. If you want to get the most out of it, figure out early on what you want from it. What you really want.
My word for 2015 is Open and in a few weeks I will be writing about my word and why I chose it.  Do you have a word for this year?

You Might Also Like

0 comments