New Recipe | Sausage And Butter Bean Casserole
Wednesday, January 07, 2015Oh my gosh, this is the best sausage casserole that I have ever made or tasted! This is definitely going to become a regular in my menu planning. I found the recipe of the BBC Food recipes website and the original recipe is actually from the Hairy Bikers. I have adapted it slightly for my own tasting so feel free to do the same if you give it a try.
What I used
6 Heck gluten free sausages
150g unsmoked diced lean bacon
Chopped onion
Sliced mushrooms
400g tinned tomato with herbs
400g butterbeans
A squirt of tomato puree
Frylite spray
Smoked paprika
400ml vegetable stock
A dash of Worcestershire Sauce
2 bay leaves
A bit of Splenda
Mixed herbs
Salt & pepper
Garlic
Chutney
How I made it
Using a cast iron pot, I coated the bottom of the pot with frylite and browned my sausages. Once they were browned I took them out of the pot and kept them on a plate.
I then added the bacon, onion and garlic and fried them until cooked.
I added the rest of the ingredients except the butter beans and sausage and mixed well.
Once the sauce was boiling, the sausages went back into the pot and it cooked for 15 minutes.
Once the timer went off, I added the butter beans and cooked for a further 10 minutes. I served this with vegetables however you can include mash or rice if you like.
I am currently following the Weight Watchers plan. The casserole itself made 3 good sized portions and worked out to 10 pro points per serving.
Tips
If you are following Weight Watchers and want to reduce the points for the meal, feel free to use low fat sausages instead of the Heck sausages.
If you want a little more spice then add some chilies or chili powder.
Feel free to use chicken stock instead of vegetable. The recipe calls for chicken but I didn't have any.
It might be just as nice using different beans if you wish. I may try cannellini beans next time.
Well, I hope you liked this. If you are looking for something new then I would definitely give this a try. Feel free to let me know if you enjoyed it.


0 comments