Advice to myself
Friday, May 04, 2012I have been so sick this week, struggling to make it through each day. But I have had to go into work, I have had to push through. It has not been easy and I am so grateful that my weekend has started a day early.
So here I sit at home, curled up on the sofa with my favourite quilt and a cup of tea, catching up on a new TV series here called Once Upon a Time, patiently waiting for this horrible cold to work its way through my system. Its almost 5pm and I have spent most of the day in and out of dream land, so I thought I had better do something with my day off which is why I am watching TV and blogging.....oh, and just in case you are wondering, I don't normally consider "doing something on my day off" to be TV and the Internet, its only due to my current status of germy.
With it being such a tough week this week, I thought it might be nice to share a few pieces of advice that I have received over the years which helped me through.
You can only do what you can do. While I have been forcing myself into work, I have been aware that I am not at full working capacity and therefore I cant expect to accomplish what I normally would in a day. Putting that extra pressure on myself to achieve that would only work against me.
Keep hydrated. So I know this is a little odd, but my mom has always said to keep hydrated when your not well.....and to be honest, I guess its good practise to keep hydrated in all situations.
Not everyone is like me. Now I know this is straight forward, but over the past few months I have seen an entirely different side of certain people. I need to remember that what I would do for others, is not necessarily what they would do for me.
Listen to your body. Having pushed myself to go to work, I knew that I would need to take time out in the evenings to rest. The evenings of this past week have been spent resting on the sofa and going to bed early. Now, I had other plans that really needed doing but I knew that I needed to pay attention to myself.
Don't be lazy. I know this applies to A LOT of different things but more specific for me and my situation, being lazy refers to choosing to not cook meals in the evening....instead I was considering doing takeouts or ready meals or nothing. But I realised that my body needs nutrients and protein to help build its strength and so, I made the effort and got cooking!

0 comments