100 no's challenge
Thursday, February 02, 2012I think that this idea has been circulating on the blogsphere for a few weeks now. I saw the concept on Ali Edwards weekly newsletter last night but I am not sure where the original idea stemmed from. But, I am going to share the concept behind it and challenge you to take it onboard and at least have a think about taking part.
The challenge is getting 100 no’s. Now that sounds amazingly scary because in order to get your 100 no’s, you need to ask at least 100 questions. If you consider that you probably won’t get a no for every questions that you ask, then you are probably going to have to put yourself out there more than 100 times. The entire point of this challenge is to become comfortable with getting a No as your answer. To make it so second nature to you that when do get that response, it doesn’t send you into a tailspin. It needs to become so normal that the fear of getting that no does not stop you from asking for those things that you really want.
And we all have those questions that we are really want to ask but are too afraid to do so. We feel that we deserve a raise at work but we dare not ask our bosses. We want to ask to work flexi hours but am concerned about the response. We want to find a “other half” but the fear of putting yourself out there keeps you simply waiting and wanting. I am guilty of all of these and I am sure many more.
But from today, I am challenging myself to get a 100 no’s. The idea is terrifying and I am fully expecting to be bad at it the first few times that I ask. But I am also expecting that it will become easier and that I may even be surprised by some of the answers. Even more than that, I am hoping that I will get some Yes’s along the way that will change my life.
So here is what I am going to do….I am going to take a paper and some coloured pens or a few magazines and write and find the word No 100 times over. I am then going to hang it up in the kitchen and each time that I get a “No”from someone, I am going to cross off one of the 100 no’s from my sheet. This is definitely a bit of an experiment for me and it means putting myself out there, but what do I have to lose? Everything that I assume I will be asking for I wont have anyway (otherwise what’s the point in asking) so if it turns out that I cant get it then I am really no worse off for asking.
It sounds interesting right? So why not join me in the adventure.

0 comments