Journey to 130
Saturday, April 14, 2012
I wasn't expecting there to be such a big lag between my last post and this one....sorry about that. I know this is going to sound weird, but this post feels like a big deal to me. Like a new start, and I think that it really is the beginning of something good.
I made a few decisions a couple weeks ago. I cancelled my subscription to Weight Watchers on line and I found myself another option. It was not an easy task and definitely not an easy decision. You see, I have been doing WW on and off for the past eight years or so and I find myself here, with still so much weight to lose. WW is a great programme, but I realised that isn't the programme for me.
Here is what I wanted to look for: something tailored to me and my body, something that requires real food and not shakes, bars or pills. I wanted something that would help correct any imbalances in my body chemistry and I wanted something that would reteach me how to eat. Now I know that sounds a little weird, but all these years of dieting and binging has left me feeling like I have no idea what my body needs or what balanced eating really looks like.
With all of that in mind, I decided to find myself a dietitian. I did a lot of research into my local dietitian options and I finally found someone who I think would be able to help me. Meeting with her would cost a lot of money, and I had to take that money out of my savings account, but I knew that this was the way forward for me.
So I arranged a session with her and met her for our discussion.
This is the first time I have ever seen a dietitian so I was pretty nervous. She has asked me to bring with me a food diary for the previous few days as well as a paragraph around why I wanted to see her. What had lead me to this point and what I wanted out of our session. The session was interesting and I learnt a lot about my body and what my eating and levels of stress are doing to my body. She suggested a bunch of supplements to help re balance my body and she has said that I should consider moving to a wheat free/gluten free way of eating.
I went home and have made some pretty big decisions about how I am going to eat going forward. About what I am going to put into my body and I know that it will take some getting used to but it really is the best thing for me. I wasn't given a programme to follow, a quantity of food to eat at each meal or a list of foods to avoid. What I was told was that this is going to be a trial and error programme. It's going to involve feeding my body what it needs and then listening to what it has to say. From there, I need to tweak what and when I eat accordingly. It's going to take some practise and I am pretty sure I won't get it right first time, but I am going to keep going with it. I am going to do my best, take it one day at a time and ask God to help me with this huge journey that I have ahead of me.
Today marks the first day of my Journey to 130. I want to lose 130lbs and I am giving myself 24 months to achieve this - that is a goal of 5lbs a month. To help hold myself accountable, I aim to weigh in once a week, to share my struggles and my journey.

1 comments
Sorry I have been MIA lately... life is just getting to me.I think its great that you are making the switch to something that will work for you in a WHOLE well rounded manner! I look forward to reading your posts (and being a better friend to support you in your journey!) I will be praying for you!
ReplyDeleteSending big hugs across the miles my friend!❤