When life throws you curve balls.....

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Today has certainly been a curve ball day. First day back at work and the first thing my manager said to me when I walked in was, "We need to talk". That never bodes well when you have been off work on holiday for a few days!

I followed her to one of our meeting rooms downstairs and found myself unconsciously holding my breath as she began to speak.  I heard words like script, not an easy decision, cost cutting, 90 days and potential job loses.  My mind started racing and I had to remind myself to breath. 

As it turns out, the business is going through a restructure and so in order to help cut costs, they have decided to end all the employees on 6 month contracts and all agency staff.  This affects two of my team members and a total of eleven people in our department.  Then she went on to say that all the team managers jobs (that would be mine) are also potentially at risk and that they would be making 3 managers in the credit department redundant.....and that we will have to re-apply for our own jobs and go through the interview process in order to try to secure our jobs.  To add to this, there is a ninety day window before any further decisions are made and we are expected to go about our daily jobs as normal......not great news for your first day back from holiday.

The thing with curve balls, is that when they occur, you have two choices. You can either sit down and feel sorry for yourself OR you can put on your big girl pants and deal with it!  That can mean many things to different people, but to me that means being strong, creating a plan of action and taking my cares to God.

So here I sit tonight trying to be strong, thinking about my options and most importantly taking my cares to God. Asking Him to help me make the right decisions, to open the doors that need opening and close those that shouldn't be walked through.  The next ninety days are going to be tough, but I am confident that things will work out for the best.        

You Might Also Like

0 comments