Learning to say No

Monday, March 12, 2012

Saying No to requests from others is something that I find difficult to do a lot of the time.  And unfortunately this means that I then find myself in situations where I either feel totally overwhelmed or so exhausted that I am unable to do the things that I truly love to do.

I have a lot of things on my plate this year. One of my main goals this year is to lose weight, and a substantial amount at that. In order to just do that, I need more time in the gym, exercising in the outdoors, time at home creating food menus, cooking healthy dinners and of course shopping for all that healthy food.  Just this and working a full time job would be more than enough to take up my time.....however.....I am also currently studying for a Bsc Honours Psychology Degree, working 50 hour weeks in a highly stressful job that if i am honest i don't really enjoy. I have also signed up to two year long projects, which i love and enjoy doing, and I am working on growing in my daily faith. 

With all this commitment, I find that in order to save my sanity and often my energy, I am having to say no to people and things. No I will not continue to work 50 hour weeks, i need to find a balance. No, I have an assignment due and I wont be able to go out with friends. No, I haven't had any time to sit back and relax, to nurture my soul, so I need to say no to the books and yes to taking some time to rejuvenate myself.

This has not been an easy thing for me to do, but I have found that by remembering what is important to me, it has given me the courage to say No. 

All of this can be overwhelming.  All of this can be distracting.  All of this can get you down but all of this can also be rewarding.

So while I am constantly playing a game of balance, I want to challenge you take a look at what is important to you and then stick with it, even if it means saying no to requests from others.

You Might Also Like

0 comments