{ Around The Yard | Very Early Spring }
Wednesday, April 02, 2014
Ever since I bought my first home back in August, I have been dreaming about what my first garden will be like come Spring and Summer. Before I bought my house I lived in a little flat with no garden, so one of the requirements while house hunting was a definitely a garden.
One of the first things I feel in love with when I drove up to look at the house was the front garden. Two big birch trees out front, flower baskets underneath and a brown picket fence. It immediately felt like home. The only problem was that the garden hadn't been worked in for at least eighteen months and needed a lot of work doing to it.
Finally, with the weather warming up and with spring just starting, I decided it was time to take action. My front garden has two of these boxed, both of which looked like this.
Now this is where I need to tell you all that have zero gardening knowledge or experience, other then the sunflowers I grew in primary school. So I picked up my big fork (I'm sure it has a proper name but that's just what I call it ) and begun the huge task of ridding these baskets of all the weeds, grass and whatever other odd things had made their home there. There was so much work, it took me four and a half hours to clear them both out.
Now came the fun part - shopping for new flowers which will hopefully make my garden look gorgeous in a few weeks time.
With my limited gardening knowledge, I knew that whatever I got I wanted them to be perennials, so that I wouldn't have to buy new ones each year. So I found the perennial section and simply picked one of each flower that looked pretty on the flower card that came with the plant. To be honest, I was expecting it to cost me about fifty to seventy pounds however I got a great deal and only ended up paying twenty six pounds for all the flowers in my shopping trolley above. Now my flowers are planted and I am eagerly waiting their bloom.
I am so pleased with how my garden has turned out so far and I can't wait to see it in full bloom. As you can see, my back garden still requires a bit of work but I will get there in in the next few weeks. Hope you are enjoying the warmer weather as much as I am.






0 comments