{ She Shares : Letting go of my comfort }

Friday, July 20, 2012

This is the third bible study that I have done with the SheReadsTruth community and I am really enjoying them.  The aim is to spend time in God's Word each day, to share what you are learning and to provide support and community to each other.  So far, I haven't really been sharing much. I have been trying to get into the daily habit of spending time with God and I have been trying to keep my head above the water.  I am sure that God is working on many areas of my life at the moment, but there is definitely one which I know He is molding and that I am trying my hardest to change: Letting go of my comfort. 

SheShares

A few years ago I found myself in a long term bad relationship. During that time, I made many decisions just trying to survive, decisions that I know where not based on prayer or wisdom or anything else that I so desperately needed at the time.  Instead, I found myself trying to cope with the situation the only way I knew how.

No one every really teaches you how to deal with your emotions.  How to process things correctly or how to move forward from those circumstances. It's a skill that you are required to use in order to be a healthy person, but its not something that is taught at school or at church (at least not in my church).  So how did I cope with my fears, emotions and broken dreams? ....... I ate.

I ate my way through that entire period of my life and by the time i had managed to end things, begin to create my life over from the ground up and finally take some steps forward, eating to comfort myself had become my habit. My first choice in time of stress, discomfort or depression.  My go to.

I have been battling with this for years now and I know that in order for me to take that next step towards healing and the life God has for me, I need to deal with my food and comfort issues.  During these past bible studies God has been gently talking to me about seeking my comfort in Him rather than the chocolate bars. That by turning to food to fulfil my need for comfort, I am really telling God that I don't trust him - Ouch!

So here I am, taking it one day at a time, trying to pause when my instinct kicks in to reach for the sweet stuff and instead reach for God and the comfort He has promised me.  Some days I feel like I am finally getting it, while other days (like today) I feel like I have taken ten steps back again. 


Lord, please help me to lean on You.  To trust in Your plan for me and the promises in your Word.  Let me run to You instead of to the chocolate.  Help me to learn how to process and deal with the emotions I have not yet dealt with, show me how to believe in the future that You have for me that doesn't seem to be anywhere in sight.  

When I say: I'll never change. God says: I am transforming you.
{And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord's glory, are being transformed into His image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. 2 Corinthians. 3:18}
(A Confident, Chapter 12)

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Lynne my friend... your post here is exactly what I needed to hear/read today. I would be very interested in joining an online bible study group. I am in need of more time with Him and to have someone to share that journey with... I am going to look into this more! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodie, I am glad my post has been good for you - it definately was good for me to write it out last night. Feel free to join She Reads Truth (you can google it or click on the link at the top) with me. Its done through YouVersion and not only has its own site but also twitter ( if you are on twitter - i'm not) and instagram. It's really helped me to have a "strategy" for my quiet times and on the days when I just don't get to it, I simply catch up a day or two later xxx

      Delete
  2. Lynne, thank you for coming out of your comfort-zone. Over the past two years, I have lost 50 pounds. First, by getting healthy (physically and emotionally), then by exercising little by little until my stamina grew. A lot of people have it wrong by saying, "Once I lose weight, I'll get healthy." But your body can't lose weight the right way unless you're healthy first.

    You've overcome your first hurdle, by publically admitting that you need help. And substituting the Word is a great start! I look forward to watching you overcome and change. On my blog, I have a post regarding my weight loss and all the struggles my family has gone through in the process.

    Stay strong. Keep vigilant. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Abigail, Thank you for stopping buy and leaving such encouraging comments. One step at a time is all that I do right now, so that is all that I am going to focus on. I will be popping over to your blog later tonight.
    Thanks again.
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete