Goal setting 101

Monday, July 09, 2012

I can't believe that we have already reached the half way mark for this year. Time sure is moving on quickly.  I am one of those people who likes setting goals, who enjoys making lists, ticking them off once completed and who tends to try to tackle too many goals/projects/ideas at once.  Reaching the end of the six month mark, I decided it was time to have a look at the goals I set in January. Which ones did I reach?  Which ones do I need to carry over and which ones are no longer right for me?

So I sat down and spent some time reflecting and brainstorming. I always love having projects on the go - probably too many at one time if I am being completely honest. And as expected, once I had completed my brainstorming, I had so many awesome, exciting goals that I would love to complete by December, however it quickly became clear that this may not be the best option.

I looked at my list and I asked myself one question - "Achieving which one of these goals will make the biggest difference to my life?" I realised that perhaps picking one main goal and two or three smaller goals would be more productive for me. 






While doing some research on goal setting, I came across this great visual guide on pintrest and thought it would be great to share.  Take a quick read through it and see if it gives you any ideas. None of what it suggests is ground breaking, but maybe your missing a step and that is the one thing you need to help you achieve your goals.  


Here are the steps that I followed:
1. Brainstorming - Check
2. Choose 3 goals - Check
3. No Limits - The two smaller goals are by no means limit free however my bigger goal feels like a dream more than a goal.
4. Write out your goals - That's what my journal and blog are for of course!
5. Break your goals down - I have always been pretty good at creating mini goals, but I recently read an article on Oprah's site which suggested that you not only create mini goals, but also daily goals. Daily goals which are so easy to achieve that there is little chance of not achieving them. I guess the idea is that the more times you achieve these goals, be them simple or not, the more your confidence and positive thinking grows.  I think its a great idea.  
6. Announce your goals - My three goals for the next six months include paying off my car loan (hopefully done by the
end of October), complete my Biological Psychology course with a Level 2 pass, and my big goal is to really focus on living a healthy life and by doing that I am aiming to lose a minimum of 30lbs.
7. Keep your goals on your mind - Assignment due dates, payments coming out my bank and weekly weigh-ins should keep my goals at the forefront of my mind. 
8. Work towards your goals - Obvious but necessary.
9. Keep a success log - Check.
10. Reach and repeat - Working on.

The last thought that I want to leave you with is this.......



You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. You are inspiring me! I want to do this too -- but it willhave to wait til next week when I am not on the tractor!
    (I cant believe we are half way thru the year!! EEKK! that means summer is coming to an end too... sigh....)
    Hope all is well in your corner!

    ReplyDelete