Celebrate | Graduation Day
Wednesday, April 29, 2015
Its was one month yesterday since I enjoyed one of the biggest, exciting and proudest days in my life so far. After six long years I graduated University with a Bsc Honors Psychology degree!
Six years is a long time. When I started I didn't really give much thought to those six years. Studying part time while working full time was enough of a mountain to focus on. But here I am, six years later, and looking back it feels like it took a life time to get where I am now. I changed jobs four times (although stayed in the same company the entire time), I moved home three times, I purchased a house, I worked through a big relationship breakup, I became a British citizen, I went on five vacations and two summer schools. Looking back it has been a jam packed six years.
I love to learn. Learning is actually one of my Top 5 strengths according to StrengthsFinder 2.0 but along this journey there have definitely been several times when all I have wanted to do was give up. Pack it all in and not bother. BUT I am so glad that I stayed the course and saw this thing through to the end.
Graduation day was definitely a day that I will remember. While I was excited about it, I wasn't really prepared for the emotions that came along with it. Not only from my parents but from me as well. I am so proud of myself. I remember thinking a number of times " You've made it girl! You actually did it!" I can honestly say that all the hard work, all the sacrifice, all the summer afternoons and weekends missed were worth it.
Walking across that stage probably took no longer than 90 seconds.....but it felt like it was taking place in slow motion. Despite the auditorium being full to capacity, I felt like I was the only one in the room. My sole goal was to walk across the stage, accept my degree, and not trip...lol. I am grateful to say all those things were achieved!
The day was magical. The experience unforgettable. The feelings overwhelming. My goal for this day was to enjoy it, to be present in the moment and to soak up everything around me. Mission accomplished in every way.
One thing that happened that I wasn't expecting was a realisation. A thought that occurred to me a number of times and sat with me after the day had ended. I need to celebrate the things in my life, both big and small. I haven't been very good at doing that in the past. Acknowledging the small steps taken, the big goals achieved hasn't been a priority but by living this way, I have been missing out.....and I am not going to be living this way anymore.
So here is to celebrating all my hard work, achieving my goal and enjoying the moments of the day to the fullest.







0 comments