Trying Something New

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

I have never been much of a sewing, knitting, cross stitching gal but when I saw these cute reindeer ornaments on He Little Magpie I just knew that I needed to give cross stitching another chance.  At only £4.99, it would hardly require too much of a commitment from me and I figured if it all went horribly wrong I could throw it away without feeling too guilty about the cost. 


The kit arrived several weeks ago now and I was very pleased to see that they had thought to include the needle and the hoop. I hadn't even thought about any tools that I would need.  When it arrived, I had just started sorting out my house and didn't want to shift my focus away from that. I put the kit aside for when my house was done and I could spend a few hours focusing on just this little guy.


On Monday afternoon the house was finally finished and I made a start on the kit.  Seeing as I haven't attempted anything like this since being in school, I did what any modern, early thirty year old woman would do and spent some time on YouTube learning the basics of cross stitch. It took me absolutely ages to make that first stitch and an hour later I had managed to complete a whole two rows!
  

Once I got the hang of it, it actually wasn't too bad. My fingers ached like never before, but after four hours of working on this I had completed the top half of my reindeer and I was so pleased that you could actually tell what it was.


Tuesday afternoon I spent a few hours completing it. I wish that I could say that the bottom half went as smoothly as the top however I would be lying....lol. For some reason my counting was off and by the time it came to doing the back legs, I was improvising each stitch.  Up close you can totally see all the mistakes however from far, it looks pretty good.  I'm so please with how it turned out and can definitely say that while it was nice to try something new, taking up a hobby of cross stitching is not in my near future!


You Might Also Like

0 comments