{ Saying goodbye }
Thursday, August 02, 2012I have always been one of those girls who only has a few friends. I've always longed to be in the "in group", enjoying the hanging out and acceptance that I felt I missed. While I enjoy helping people, I am really not a group person. I get insecure, unsure and usually spend the evening hiding or sitting quietly smiling and nodding my head at conversation. I am much more of a one on one gal. Give me some alone time and I will be a very happy bunny!
And then I moved to the States. I gained some confidence, took some risks and made a group of great friends. My first real group of friends. I was so pleased....but I decided I wanted to take a new challenge which found me heading off to England.
If I thought making friends as a teenager was tough, just wait until I had moved continents three times, met a controlling guy in a peculiar country and made some drastic decisions in the process of getting my life and identity back.
Making friends as an adult is an entirely different ball game! I have found it incredibly hard to make the type of friends who stick around. By this age, people generally have their circle of friends established......and aren't all that keen to add people to the group. I guess if I had children, that might provide more opportunities to make friends, but as I don't, that is just not an option.
And then I met Mr C. At first I wasn't sure about him, but he has turned out to be a real friend. He knows all the scary skeletons of my past and all my hopes for the future, he knows who I am and why I do the things that I do. He accepts me just as I am and has helped me grow in so many ways......
Today he is leaving.....and my heart is breaking.....
My hope is that despite the change in jobs and location, our friendship will continue......I can surely hope, right?

0 comments